Heidi Overman, LMT #MT-24997
It’s common in my practice to see and help clients with muscular injuries. Often, clients come to me in pain, but they don’t know what happened or how they could’ve hurt themselves. I often hear, “I was just taking the laundry out of the dryer” or “I just reached and all of a sudden.” These injuries become more common as we age. There are other muscular issues that cause injury.
The most common issues that cause the injuries we see are repetitive motion, slips and falls, trauma, accidents, and sports injuries.
These issues cause some of the most common injuries: whiplash, muscle strain and tears, chronic pain, sprains, piriformis syndrome, plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, inflammation, trigger point development, structural misalignment, frozen shoulder, and tennis elbow.
First, massage is a process. If you have any of these issues, understand that one massage will not “fix” any of these issues. When you injure a muscle, it takes time to reteach the muscle how to release and relax, realign the muscle fibers, and let the muscle heal properly.
How therapeutic massage can help all these issues:
* Restores blood flow to the injured area
* Brings much-needed nutrients to an area that needs oxygen and other necessities to heal
* Manipulates the tissues, keeping them flexible and strong when exercise isn’t possible
* Releases trigger points
* Can strengthen the entire area, providing additional strength and support
* Can help decrease pain
* Increases range of motion and flexibility
* Promotes muscle relaxation. A deep massage directly targets the source of pain, ultimately eliminating tension and inducing relaxation.
* Massage can be an excellent strategy for dealing with pain, proprioception, muscle tone, movement patterns, and dysfunctional scar tissue.
Therapeutic massage can be a great benefit to you when you injure yourself, even if you’re not sure where to start. Injuries are mostly muscular, and we are trained in anatomy, pathology, and kinesiology, in order to help you get through your injury and be on your way to healing!
If you are interested in a therapeutic massage, call me for an appointment at 520-771-1514. My website is www.mymendingplace.com, and I’m located at MEND Therapeutic Massage and Restorative Skincare at 15920 N Oracle Rd., Ste 170 Tucson, AZ 85739 (Next to the Golden Goose).