By Barbara Barr
The Rotarians from the Rotary Club of SaddleBrooke are about to share in the joy of making Thanksgiving happy for many area residents in need. Collaborating with IMPACT of Southern Arizona, the Golder Ranch Fire Department, and the Catalina Mountain Elks Lodge, members of the Rotary Club of SaddleBrooke will help provide Thanksgiving meals for those who could otherwise not celebrate the holiday. Each year, our club helps provide Thanksgiving meals for 200 to 300 families in the copper corridor and local area.
Perhaps the happiest part of a Rotarian Thanksgiving is knowing that you helped another family to have a happy Thanksgiving. Each year, our club members joyfully hand out turkeys, pies, and all the trimmings to families in need in our local area. But this is just a small part of what we do!
The Rotary Club of SaddleBrooke does so much more to make a difference locally and globally. Here are just some of the things we are doing this year:
• Installing filtered water systems in the elementary schools in Nogales, Sonora.
• Providing screening and glasses for children in villages of central Mexico.
• Assisting with our district project to remodel a school for special needs students in Ensenada, Mexico.
• Taking “Dress A Girl Around the World” clothing to children in Ensenada.
• Packing meals for the local food bank.
• Keeping a local road clean.
• Sponsoring area students and a counselor for Rotary Youth Leadership Academy.
• Delivering books and dictionaries to approximately 1,200 students in the Copper Corridor three times a year.
• Providing funding for after school tutoring with Oracle and San Manuel students.
• Assisting in funding for a local school robotics program.
• Providing funding to support therapy for special needs students through Little Hooves & Big Hearts.
• Providing college and vocational scholarships for area youth.
• Helping fund a teen sewing organization.
• Supporting First Tee of Tucson.
• Recognizing high school students at San Manuel in the Student of the Month program.
• Providing major funding for Make-A-Wish Foundation.
• Recognizing a Teacher of the Year for Oracle.
• Providing funding for polio eradication.
• Recognizing a business person of the year in the Oracle, Catalina, and SaddleBrooke area.
• Assisting seniors in the Catalina area.
• Providing funding for temporary housing following Hurricane Dorian.
If making a difference locally and globally appeals to you, come visit us!
The Rotary Club of SaddleBrooke is an award-winning club, packed with energetic volunteers of all ages coming together as friends in Rotary to assist area schools, our community, and international philanthropies. Rotary is open to those who are retired or work in SaddleBrooke, SaddleBrooke Ranch, and surrounding communities. If this sounds like something of interest to you, come join us for lunch on Thursday at the SaddleBrooke One clubhouse. For more information, contact Wendy Guyton at 520-404-5712 or [email protected]