Being a caregiver can be challenging and stressful. But caregivers also describe their role as very meaningful. Here are a few of the many rewards that you may experience when caring for a loved one.
* You may gain new skills
* You may learn to be more organized and to plan ahead
* You may learn to speak your concerns and needs more clearly
* You may discover strength and skills you did not know you had
* You may develop new and lasting friendships
* You accomplish more and feel less alone when you connect with others who face the same challenges
Caregivers benefit by sharing their concerns, information and solutions with others.
Caregiving is an opportunity to say, “Thank you. You are valuable to me, I love you, I care about you, I will be here for you.”
You can learn about taking care of yourself too. Breathe, drink lots of water, nourish your body, sleep, move your body, laugh, write in a journal, meditate and/or visualize, and give yourself some credit.